To learn more about past and future events, go to The Australasian Mycological Society website.
Fungimap 8 Conference
The Fungimap 8 Conference was held on the 16-21 April 2015 at Batemans Bay, New South Wales.
Presenters included Teresa Lebel, Ray Kearney and Michael Anlezark.
Workshops presenters included ‘How to photograph fungi’ with Paul George, ‘Boletes’ with Roy Halling and ‘Truffles’ with Teresa Lebel.
For information about future fungimap events, go to www.fungimap.org.au.
The Linda Garrett Reserve is a short drive to the west of Mapleton on the Blackall Ranges. The QMS undertake regular visits to the reserve, which has a wide range of mature living trees and fine collections of logs and old tree stumps that support some rare and unusual wood inhabiting fungi.
Dominated by sandy soils typical of the Great Sandy National Park, the plants and their fungal mycorrhizal partners of Cooloola have had to adapt to these low nutrient soils. The resulting diversity of Boletes, in particular, makes this a global hot spot for fungal diversity.
John Dearnaley will be presenting “Mycorrhizal Fungi”.
A number of forays will be held as a part of the Queensland Fungi Festival 2014.
Saturday 26th April
- Funky Fungi (for kids): Jasmin Packer (Registration includes 1 adult and 2 children, children must be accompanied. Mt Coot-tha – Own transport required. meet at Brisbane Botanic Gardens Richard Randall Art Studio)
- Foray with Tom May, (Egernia, Mt Nebo. Meet at Jolley’s lookout car park. Own transport required)
- Fungal ecology for beginners: Pam Catcheside and Pat Leonard (Pitta circuit, Mt Nebo. Meet at Boombana car park. Own transport required)
- Surveying for fungi: Richard Robinson and Sapphire McMullan Fisher (Scenic Rim regional council area)
- Foray with Roy Halling, (Thylogale walking track, Mt Nebo. Mt at Jolley’s lookout car park. Own transport required)
Sunday 27th April
- Identifying and making records of fungi for beginners: Pat Leonard (Egernia, Mt Nebo. Meet at Jolley’s lookout car park. Own transport required)
- Foray to Mt Glorious: Nigel Fechner and Susan Nelles (Rainforest circuit, Maiala, Mt Glorious. Meet at Maiala car park. Own transport required)
- Fungal diversity, including lichens: Jutta Godwin (Turrball circuit, Bellbird grove. Meet at Bellbird Grove car park. Own transport required)
- Foray to Mt Glorious: Nigel Fechner and Susan Nelles (Western Window Track, Maiala. Meet at Maiala car park. Own transport required)
For more information or to register, go to:
The Citizens of the Lockyer Inc. are working to increase awareness of the rich biodiversity to be found within the Lockyer Valley, to document the flora and fauna of the area and to promote the value of the environment for residents and visitors alike. For more information about the group, see www.facebook.com/LockyerCitizens
The QMS has been invited to investigate a number of areas within the Valley covering a broad range of habitats – including pasture, vine forest and rainforest. With the recent high rainfall, there are sure to be some interesting fungi to be found!
For more details, go to our Calendar of Events.